KERALA named as the ‘Most Welcoming Place in India'
Booking.com reveals India’s Top 10 Most Welcoming Places according to its 2018 Guest Reviews Awards
- Varkala (Kerala), Cochin (Kerala), Jaisalmer(Rajasthan), Thekkady(Kerala) and Jodhpur (Rajasthan) named as the top 5 destinations in India in the list of the ‘Most Welcoming Places on Earth’
- Kerala tops the list with 5 out of 10 destinations in India: Varkala, Cochin, Thekkady, Alleppey and Munnar named as the most welcoming cities in Kerala
- 84% of Indian travellers that say friendly and interesting locals are one of their top considerations when selecting a destination for their next trip: Research data***
- Drawing on over 170 million guest reviews, the Booking.com Guest Review Awards are one of the biggest and most influential awards in the industry
Booking.com, one of the world’s leading digital travel platforms, today revealed the top 10 most welcoming places in India according to its 2018 Guest Review Awards survey data. Kerala has topped the list in India as one of the ‘Most Welcoming Places’ in India. Five of the popular destinations from ‘God's Own Country’ Varkala, Cochin, Thekkady, Alleppey and Munnar were featured among the list of top ten places in India.
The awards also highlighted that resorts (23%) were the most welcoming accomodation types in India followed by homestay (20%), guest houses (12%), hotels (11%) and apartments (11%).
For the seventh annual edition of the awards, 759,845 properties in total across 219 countries and territories were given an award, with the top countries receiving the most awards being Italy (106,513), Spain (46,646) and France (45,286). India (6,125) ranked ahead of Switzerland (6,002), Taiwan (5,212), Belgium (5,108) & China (4,996) in terms of the number of properties being honored with awards. A total of 6,125 accommodation providers from India were recognized as a part of these awards.
“No matter the type, size or location of the property, what we see from our customers is that they value a human connection when they travel, whether it’s some extra attention to detail or a truly individualized approach to service,” said Ritu Mehrotra, Country Manager India, Sri Lanka & Maldives at Booking.com. “With these awards, we celebrate and thank all of the amazing accommodation partners who create special travel experiences for our customers on a daily basis.” she added.
Most welcoming places on Earth
Based on the share of properties receiving an award in 2018, for the first time ever Booking.com reveals the most welcoming places on Earth according to customer reviews. With the highest percentages of total eligible properties winning awards, India ranks as the 29th most welcoming country on the planet ahead of Switzerland (30th), China (40th) and Malaysia (45th)* Within India, the most welcoming destinations are Varkala (Kerala), Cochin (Kerala) & Jaisalmer (Rajasthan).** This is especially relevant for the 84% of Indian travellers who feel that friendly and interesting locals are one of their top considerations when selecting a destination for their next trip***.
Most Welcoming Destinations 2018
Lake Tekapo (New Zealand)
Puducherry (Tamil Nadu)
Newport (United States)
Nozawa Onsen (Japan)
Fernando de Noronha (Brazil)
Agra (Uttar Pradesh)
El Chalten (Argentina)
- To be recognized with an award, properties had to have an average review score of 8.0 or higher based on at least 5 reviews as of 11:59pm (CET) on October 31, 2018. Only customers that have actually stayed at an accommodation can leave a review of their experience on Booking.com. After they have checked out of the property, they are invited to rate their accommodation experience against six categories: cleanliness, comfort, location, facilities, staff and value for money. As these reviews are never edited or adjusted in any way, travelers can reference them for an authentic account of what the real guest experience is like at every place to stay on Booking.com.
- **Cities were sorted by the total share of 2018 Guest Review Award winners when compared to the total amount of eligible properties in that city. Cities also had to have an above average amount of winners to be included on this list (60 award recipients or higher) and were curated for geographic spread.
- ***This is defined as the percentage of respondents who rated this aspect a 7 out of 10 or higher. Research commissioned by Booking.com and independently conducted among a sample of 53,492 respondents across 31 markets. The results in this article focus on Indian travelers only, which consisted of 1,852 respondents. In order to participate in this survey, respondents had to be 18 years of age or older, had to have travelled at least once in the past 12 months and be either the primary decision maker or involved in the decision making of their travel. The survey was taken online and took place between October 16th and November 12th, 2018.